Sustainable agriculture is one that produces abundant food without depleting the earth’s resources or polluting the environment. It is agriculture that follows the principles of nature to develop systems for raising crops and livestock that are, like nature, self-sustaining. sustainable agriculture is also the agriculture of social values, one whose success is indistinguishable from vibrant rural communities, rich lives for families on the farms, and wholesome food for everyone.
– Richard Earles
How do we achieve sustainable agriculture?
- Know your markets, protect your markets and add value to your products
- Build soil structure and fertility
- Manage pests ecologically
- Protect water quality on and beyond the farm
- Maximize biodiversity on the farm.